CASE STUDY
Stockvu
Stockvu aims to help people with financial literacy by educating users with their short and long-term financial goals.
A familiar problem
As Stockvu’s mission grows and molds, there’s an ever-increasing need for ways to educate communities of color on finances. Those who have looked at Tax Return paperwork, investment prospectus, and Robinhood stock data had thoughts along these lines:

“This home is perfect, do I need to jump on this immediately? Or can I wait a little while before making a decision?”

“Oh this looks like a pretty good price! I wonder if the prices ever change? If I wait a little while, will the price go down? Or what if the price goes up?”


The goal of this project was to educate young people of color about financial freedom and the tools to achieve it.  Additionally, the final design should be flexible and simple enough that users can be immediately involved in learning.
ROLE
Product Designer
Brand Designer
Research
I started my research by conducting a survey on 100 people. They were a wide variety of individuals primarily in the age range or 18-45. Asking several questions that we were hoping would validate our problem.
Wireframes & design mockups
After a short period of research, the next step involved some quick wireframes to illustrate my ideas. I built the wireframes using Figma and presented them to stakeholders from the product and dev teams to make sure we were all in alignment with what the features would generally look like in the product and to make sure they solved for their needs.
Once I got working on higher fidelity mockups, I also made sure to share my work with the developer and stakeholders on the team during one of our weekly design critique sessions. Even though we drive projects independently, getting regular feedback like this is super important and valuable. It helps me take a step back see my decisions through another designer’s eyes. Plus, they can help catch visual design inconsistencies with other areas of the product and offer their own ideas.
Result
Taking the wires into hight fidelity mockups were a bit challenging from this stage, due to some handoff to dev issues. But we made it work.
Some of the wireframes of the first version (more options were presented)
Some of the wireframes (more options were presented)
⚡ CHALLENGE
One challenge was a technical issue that made it difficult to leverage live data to our website. Due to those constraints we pivoted and pushed back one of our features to discover stocks to a later phase.

This brought about a whole new change to the design and user experience that needed to be emphasized. Also we needed to figure out how to put a focus on another feature until we are prepared to release the stock discovery feature.
✅ SOLUTION
The solve was to focus on the educational part of our brand and course and content feature. To double down on this feature meant that it needed to be at the forefront of the product and brand.
Design
After reevaluating our goals as a team and the new direction focused around financial education. I developed a website that would really push this and get users into a flow to become members of our community and begin learning at their own pace.
What I’ve learned from this project
So far from this project I have learned that even though a feature may seem pivotal, things can always change and pivot. Being flexible as a UX designer is important so that one can make the best decisions for the user that algins with the direction of the business.

Also its okay to release in phases. Every feature does not have to be rolled out in release.
MORE PROJECTS
MORE PROJECTS
Fitrackr
MORE PROJECTS
Moneda
MORE PROJECTS
Brothr 79